Modifică dimensiunea fontului:
Bucharest, May 6 /Agerpres/ - Ovidiu Anton, the singer who was supposed to represent Romanian in the Eurovision song contest, performed his act "Moment of Silence" this Friday in the Bucharest historic center before dozens of fans whom he thanked for supporting him, assuring them that he keeps hope alive and will fight "to the last moment."
"Good evening friends!" Anton greeted the crowd with a signature address of Romanian rock legend Cristi Minculescu, and then went on to sing "Moment of Silence." The performance drew prolonged applause from the spectators. "We should have been in Stockholm today. I am very happy about your support, I am happy about the solidarity you showed, because that's what my song, 'Moment of Silence,' is about. Today, for you, for Romania, for the Romanians everywhere, here it is, the 'Moment of Silence'," Anton said.
Also present in the public were Romania's former representatives to the Eurovision contest Calin Goia and Zoli Toth - the latter also having sat on the jury of the National Selection this year.
"I want to thank you for coming here, I want to thank all of you who signed the online petition, who stood by our and Romania's side in this battle. We hope until the last moment and fight to the end," the artist said at the end of the song.
''Moment of Silence' is about being united, being just, being dignified, because no matter how strong we are, together we are even stronger," concluded Ovidiu Anton.
The show continued with a symbolic march to the Stockholm Street of Bucharest.
Ovidiu Anton's show was organized on the day when European Broadcasting Union (EBU) Director General Ingrid Deltenre is visiting Bucharest to discuss with the authorities Romania's exclusion from the Eurovision contest.
The EBU head has a meeting scheduled with the Minister of Finance, the management of the public television corporation TVR and the chairs of the parliamentary culture committees.
EBU said that Romania can join the competition only next year, provided that TVR pays off its debts to the organization.
TVR announced having spent so far 165,000 euros for the participation fee, the national selection and accommodation in the capital of Sweden.
No broadcaster from Romania will transmit the Eurovision 2016 show and an offer in this respect by private channel ProTV cannot be accepted because they are not an EBU member, the Union announced in late April.
Subsequently, the Union reinforced its stance, answering an incoming message on the Facebook platform that "since Romania will not be participating in the ESC this year" no broadcaster will transmit the show in Romania and decisions on next year's ESC have yet to be taken.
The European Broadcasting Union - the world's largest association of public broadcasters - announced on April 22 having taken steps to withdraw the membership of TVR over failure to pay accrued debts worth 16 million Swiss francs (14.5 million euro). Consequently, Romania will not participate in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest. AGERPRES (RO - author Oana Ghita, editor: Andreea Rotaru; EN - author: Simona Klodnischi, editor: Adina Panaitescu)
The content of the www.agerpres.ro website has the exclusive purpose of public informing.
All the information published on this website by AGERPRES is protected by relevant legal dispositions.
It is forbidden to copy, reproduce, recompile, decompile, distribute, publish, display, modify, create derived components or products or full services, as well as any exploitation of the site's content.
The use of the Comments section entails your obligation to respect the AGERPRES terms and conditions in regards to the publishing of comments on the www.agerpres.ro.